Ever since Underware Type started exploring what they call HOI (Higher-Order Interpolation), I’ve been amazed by the creative possibilities of this approach to interpolation, and I’ve wanted to try it myself.
For a long time, I didn’t get it. Then, I started to understand it, but felt like actually making it work would be nearly impossible (or super inefficient, at best). But, I’ve taken another look and got a functional test working, so I’ve documented & shared my findings. I still feel like it would be nearly impossible to use in designing full typefaces. So I am doubly impressed that Underware has made it work, and hope that Underware will succeed in licensing their internal tools to allow others to put HOI into practice as well.
→ Full post at github.com/arrowtype/NLI-test
→ Web demo of NLI in variable TTFs